what3words divided the world into 3 meter squares and gave each square a unique combination of 3 words. It's not designed to replace the street address, but rather be a useful addition when street addresses are not accurate enough. Potential buyers (and tenants) can then arrive at viewings at the right place, and time, having been provided a more accurate street address (for example, in the case of New Homes, Developments or rural properties).
That’s why agents across the UK add a what3words address to their listings.
This article includes:
- What's the problem with street addresses?
- Provide more accurate location information with what3words
- How to use what3words in your listings
Postcodes drop a pin in the centre of an area, which can make them them unhelpful for accurate navigation. Some listings, like a plot of land don’t have an address at all.
A street address may help you find the building, but can’t tell you where a specific entrance is or where to park your car. Additionally, new developments take time to appear on maps, and can take time to have postcodes assigned to them, so it can be difficult to direct customers to the exact location.
what3words is an easy way to identify precise locations. It has divided the world into 3 metre squares and given each one a unique combination of three words: a what3words address.
It’s easy to find the what3words address for anywhere on Earth. Either download the what3words mobile app (search in Google Play or App Store or go to the online map at what3words.com from your desktop).
To find your what3words address:
- Enter a street address or place name and select the correct result
- Zoom in, switch to satellite mode and drag the map to select the exact square you want
- The what3words address for the selected square will be displayed in the red bar
Add a what3words address to listing description to make sure your properties are always easy to locate.
- Go to what3words.com
- Or use the app and select the square that marks the entrance you want viewers to arrive at
- Add the what3words address to your listing description
- For example ///word.word.word is the what3words address for the best location
You can hyperlink and send what3words addresses so anyone can click on the url and be taken to the online map without having to search for it in the app
If you don’t want to include a what3words address in your listing descriptions, you can still let potential buyers and tenants know that you’re making their experience finding locations easier by using what3words in viewing confirmations, sent form your CRM software
- You can find this place easily by using what3words. Once you’ve booked a viewing, we’ll send you the what3words address. Enter it into the free what3words app or online map (what3words.com) to find the exact location